Tuesday, December 4, 2007

DRM and trying to explain it to those who have no clue

A couple of moths ago I was stopped by a wal*martian who was asking about the sticker that was on my iPod. The sticker reads "WARNING DRM Product restricts usage or invades privacy. DefectiveByDesign.org". I had no idea how to explain it to them. I stumbled through with a terrible example and left briskly feeling like a loser, and ultimately a failure.

How do you describe DRM? That's like going give me a definition of Evil, or what is air? So I started looking for talking points or some help on educating people. And I have to say that I came up fairly dry.

I think I'm okay arguing with people who know about it and are just on the wrong side, but when it comes to the unwashed masses I have no clue. I really wish someone like Cory Doctorow would write a "how to teach the unteachable about evil and DRM" (Cory feel free to use that title;) )

please post ideas in the comments

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?